About Me

My photo
I have always made jewelry. I started out making earrings for friends when I was 8 or 10 and has continued through the years. I love to figure out ways to create a new pair of earrings or a pendant or to make something from trash that someone else threw away.

Friday, February 26, 2016

A Year of Re-Use 3rd post

Its been a couple of weeks and I've been thinking of things to get into, literally.  One thing I've had for over a year in my studio is a rectifier for electroforming.  I have all of the supplies for it, I just was terrified to try it.  So, after all this is a year of re-use right?  In short, Electroforming is the process of forming a copper layer over a piece using an electric current suspended in a liquid bath.  ( Like plating) Slightly different and on a smaller scale.  So you can see my hesitation when it came to using something with an electric current... Well.  I did it!  I decided to use an organic item which of course has to be prepared differently.  It has to be sealed, then painted with a conductive paint, etc. etc.  Last week I went through my studio and got out all kinds of goodies that I've been picking up for years, acorns, star anise seeds, hemlock cones... I sealed them with a polyurethane suspended to dry, then painted them.  I spent 2 days playing with the current on the rectifier and voila! Finally I may have gotten it right!

Finished piece, copper plated.

No comments:

Post a Comment